Address: 40 Narkissou Street, 154 52 Athens, Greece
Tel:+30210 6722784, Mobile:+306974478865
Assistant Professor in Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, University of Athens
1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Alexandra Hospital, June 2016 to date
Education and Training
- AthensMedicalSchool, 1992-1998
- South Thames London Rotation, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2004-2009
- Clinical Fellow in Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, UCLH 2007-2009
- Ptychion Iatrikes, Athens University, July 1998
- Diploma of the Faculty of Family Planning (DFFP), awarded April 2002
- Member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, MRCOG, November 2003
- Greek Licensing exams in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, July 2005
- BSCCP, registered colposcopist, July 2006 (Certificate No. 2577)
- PhD, Athens Medical School, Awarded 2008
- Advanced Training Special Skill Module in Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, January 2009
- Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, FRCOG, September 2019
- Since 2006 I have primarily focused in expanding my skills in paediatric and adolescent gynaecology.
- I lead the Paediatric and Adolescent clinics at Alexandra Hospital dealing independently with all gynaecological concerns in children and adolescents attending the hospital. The outpatient department receives approximately 700 new referrals per year, including requests for management of adolescents with MRKH, Premature Ovarian Insufficiency, Hypogonadotrophic Hypogonadism, CAIS and Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia.
- I am in charge of surgical procedures in adolescents, predominantly laparoscopic cystectomies, gonadectomies, endoscopic assessment of ambiguous genitalia and feminizing surgery.
- I work in combination with the University Forensic Department for the assessment and management of all girls and adolescents with alleged sexual abuse.
- I also offer consultation to all major paediatric hospitals when requested, mainly to advise on management of girls with severe menorrhagia, ovarian cyst accidents or reproductive health issues.
Teaching Experience- Lectures
Over the past years I have been invited as a speaker in over 20 national and international conferences in Greece and Europe, as part of my commitment in propagating knowledge and participating in professional and scientific debates.
Indicative lectures as an invited speaker in international or national conferences can be found below:
- Surgery for Children with Atypical genitals at birth
Annual update in paediatric and adolescent gynaecology, Joint RCOG/BritSPAG meeting. London 12-13 March 2018.
- Long term consequences of DSD
European Congress of Endocrinology, Barcelona, 22nd May 2017
- Choice Protocol Presentation
Journee Gynado, Hopital Bicetre, Universite Paris Sud, Paris, 24th Novemeber 2017
- DSD Management Key points- The surgical approach.
WCPAG- Florence, June 26th, 2016
- Arguments pour une chirurgie repararatrice des blocs 21 retardee a l’adolescence
Journee Gynado- Paris, November 13, 2015
- Practice changes in childhood surgery for ambiguous genitalia.
Les Chemins de Versailles, Versailles, March 22, 2015.
- Family planning in patients with rheumatic disorders.
Rumanian Congress on Rheumatic Diseases, Bucharest 2-3 October 2014.
- Reproductive Health Concerns in Adolescents with SLE.
9th European Lupus Meeting, Athens, April 23-26, 2014.
- Meet the Experts Session
European Congress in Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, September 2014, London
- Facilitation during live surgery performed at University College London Hospitals
European Congress in Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, September 2014, London
- Neovaginas: Técnicas quirúrgicas
Jornadas de actualización españolas, Madrid, February 27-28, 2014.
- Is there still a Place for Franks Dilatators?
“Treatment of vaginal malformations”: New Insights into an old problem. ESHRE Campus Symposium. Thessaloniki, Greece, September 27-28, 2013
Indicative Scientific Publications
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Tranoulis A, Soldatou A, Georgiou D, Mavrogianni D, Loutradis D, Michala L. Adolescents and young women with functional hypothalamic amenorrhoea: is it time to move beyond the hormonal profile? Arch Gynecol Obstet. Accepted
- Papadima EI, Boutsiadis A, Soldatou A, Ivanidou S, Vassilakou T, Michala L. Linguistic translation and validation of the Menopause-specific Quality of Life (MENQOL) questionnaire in Greek menopausal women. Menopause. Accepted.
- Michala L, Pantzios S, Panagiotou MR, Panagiotopoulos T, Nicoletos T, Soldatou A. Child sexual abuse among medical school students: Experiences and Perceptions. IJIR. Accepted
- Michala L. The adolescent and genital dissatisfaction. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Feb 5.
- Michala L, Stefanaki K, Loutradis D. Premature ovarian insufficiency in adolescence: a chance for early diagnosis? Hormones (Athens). 2019;11.
- Papapanagiotou IK, Charamanta M, Roidi S, Al-Achmar NS, Soldatou A, Michala L. The use of Norethisterone for the treatment of severe uterine bleeding in adolescents: an audit of our experience. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2019;32:596-599.
- Tranoulis A, Georgiou D, Soldatou A, Triantafyllidi V, Loutradis D, Michala L. Poor sleep and high anxiety levels in women with functional hypothalamic amenorrhoea: A wake-up call for physicians? Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol X. 2019;1:3:100035.
- Vassalou H, Sotiraki M, Michala L. PCOS diagnosis in adolescents: the timeline of a controversy in a systematic review. J Pediatri Endocrinol Metab 2019;26:549-559
- Michala L, Vlachopapadopoulou E, Tsimaris P, Papaioannou G, Paisiou A, Peristeri I, Michalacos S, Kitra V. Resolution of Hematocolpos in Adolescents affected with Graft vs Host Disease. J Pediatri Adolesc Gynecol. 2018;31:536-539.
- Tranoulis A, Laios A, Pampanos A, Yannoukakos D, Loutradis D, Michala L. Efficacy and safety of pulsatile gonadotropin-releasing hormone therapy among patients with idiopathic and functional hypothalamic amenorrhoea: a systematic review of the literature and a meta-analysis. Fertil Steril. 2018;109:708-719.
- Nerantzoulis I, Grigoriadis T, Michala L Genital lichen sclerosus in childhood and adolescence- a retrospective case series of 15 patients: early diagnosis is crucial to avoid long-term sequelae.. Eur J Pediatr. 2017;176:1429-1432.
- Chaloutsou K, Aggelidis P, Pampanos A, Theochari E, Michala L. Premature Ovarian Insufficiency: An adolescent Series. J Pediatri Adolesc Gynecol. 2017;30:615-619.
- Bougneres P, Bouvattier C, Cartigny M, Michala L. Deferring surgical treatment of ambiguous genitalia into adolescence in girls with 21-hydroxylase deficiency: a feasibility study. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2017;2017:3.
- Papanikolaou A, Michala L. Autonomous ovarian cysts in prepubertal girls. How aggressive should we be? A review of the literature. J Ped Adol Gynecol. 2015;28 (5):292-6.
- Eleftheriadou M, Stefanidis K, Lykeridou K, Iliadis I, Michala L. Dietary habits in adolescent girls with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2015 Apr;31(4):269-71.
- Michala L, Tsigginou A, Zacharakis D, Dimitrakakis C. Breast disorders in girls and adolescents. Is there a need for a specialized service? J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2015 Apr;28(2):91-4.
- Michala L, Liao LM, Wood D, Conway GS, Creighton SM. Practice changes in childhood surgery for ambiguous genitalia? Journal of Pediatric Urology, epub ahead of print, 2014.
- Michala L, Strawbridge L, Bikoo M, Cutner AS, Creighton SM. Lower urinary tract symptoms in women with vaginal agenesis. Int Urogyn J. 2013;24(3):425-9.
- Michala L, Argyri E, Tsimplaki E, Tsitsika A, Bakoula C, Antsaklis A, Panotopoulou E. Human Papilloma Virus infection in sexually active adolescent girls. Gynecol Oncol. 2012;126(2):207-10.
- Eleftheriadou M, Michala L, Stefanidis K, Iliadis I, Lykeridou A, Antsaklis A. Exercise and sedentary habits among adolescents with PCOS. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2012;25:172-4.
- Papaioannou G, Koussidis G, Michala L. A new technique to optimse vaginal congenital anomaly imaging by Magnetic Resonance, Fert Ster, 2011 Nov;96(5):1193-4.
- Crouch NS, Deans R, Michala L, Liao LM, Creighton SM. Clinical Characteristics of Well women seeking labial reduction surgery. BJOG, 2011, Available online Aug 24.
- Michala L, Koliantzaki S, Antsaklis A. Protruding labia minora. Abnormal or just Uncool? J Psychosomatic Obst Gynecol. 2011 Sep;32(3):154-6.
- Crouch NS, Michala L., Creighton SM., Conway GS. Androgen dependent measurements of female genitalia in women with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. BJOG, 2011;118(1):84-7.
- Michala L, Creighton SM. The XY female. Best practice and Research, Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2010; 24(2):139-48.
- Michala L, Aslam N, Conway GS, Creighton SM. The Clandestine uterus, or how the uterus escapes detection prior to puberty. BJOG, 2010;117: 212-215.
- Liao LM, Michala L, Creighton SM. Labial surgery for well women: a review of the literature. BJOG, 2010;117:20-25.
- Pandis G, Michala L, Creighton SM, Cutner AS. Minimal access surgery in adolescent gynaecology. BJOG, 2009;116:214-9.
- Michala L, Goswami D, Creighton SM, Conway GS. Swyer syndrome: presentation and outcomes. BJOG, 2008;115:737-41.
- Michala L, Creighton SM, Cutner A. Surgical approaches to treating vaginal agenesis, BJOG, 2007;114:1455-9.
Non-pub med journals
- Creighton SM, Michala L, Mushtaq I, Yaron M. Childhood surgery for ambiguous genitalia: glimpses of practice changes or more of the same? Psychology and Sexuality. 2014;5:34-43.
- Michala L, Liao LM, Creighton SM. Female genital cosmetic surgery: How can clinicians act in women’s best interests? The Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, 2012.
- Michala L, Creighton SM. Fused Labia: a paediatric approach, The Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, The Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, 2009;11
Chapters in Textbooks
- Michala L, Creighton S. Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology.
In: “Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology”, pp. 26-43, Editors: Sarris I, Bewley S, Agnihotri. Oxford University Press, 12 Mar 2009.
ΒΜΑ book of the year award in Obstetrics and Gyaecology, 2010.
- Michala L, Creighton S. Pediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology.
In: “Pediatric Surgery: Diagnosis and Management”, pp. 967-972, Editors: Puri P, Höllwarth M E. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2009
- Michala L, Creighton SM. Malformations of the genital tract.
In: “Oxford Desk Reference: Obstetrics and Gynaecology”, Editors: S. Arulkumaran, L. Regan, A. Papageorghiou, A. Monga, D Farquharson. Oxford University Press, 23 June 2011.
- Michala L, Cutner Α, Creighton S. Laparoscopic procedures in Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology.
In: “Laparoscopic Surgery for Benign Gynaecology with DVDs”, $154.99 (M)
Editors: Alfred Cutner, Sanjay Vyas. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, November 2011.
- Creighton S M, Michala L. The patient with congenital uterine anomalies.
- Creighton S M, Michala L. The patient with congenital cervico-vaginal anomalies.
In: “Assisted Reproduction Techniques: Challenges and Management Options”, Editors: Khaldoun Sharif, Arri Coomarasamy. Wiley-Blackwell, March 2012.
- Michala L. Frank Dilators.
- Michala L, Mikos Th, Grimbizis GF. Vaginal Aplasia: Critical Overview of Available Treatment Options.
In: “Female Genital Tract Congenital Malformations. Classification, Diagnosis and Management”, Editors: Grimbizis G, Campo R, Tarlatzis BC, Gordts S. Book Archive Special, 2015.
- Michala L, S M Creighton. Complications of female genital surgery and disorders of sex development.
- Menstrual Dusfunction in pediatric and adolescent genecology practice, Amies Oelschlager AM, Michala L, Dietrich JE
In: “ Pediatric and Adolescent Genecology: A problem-based approach, Editors: Sarah M Creighton, Adam Balen, Lesley Breech, Lih-Mei Liao. Cambridge University Press, February 2018.
- Clinical Evidence of the effects of female genital cosmetic surgery. Michala L.
In: “Female Genital Cosmetic Surgery: Solution to what problem”, Editors: Sarah M Creighton, Cambridge University Press, 2019.
Member in Professional Bodies
Athens Medical Association
Hellenic society of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Hellenic Society of Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology
General Medical Council
Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
British Society of Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology
British Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
European Network for Psychosocial Studies in Intersex/ Diverse Sex Development EuroPSI (Advisory group)
Fluent in Greek, English, French, Spanish and Italian
Good command of the German language